Are Hippos Aggressive? Why are they very Aggressive & Cases
Are Hippos Aggressive? Why are they very Aggressive & Cases
Male hippos are also aggressively territorial, and brutal fights are not uncommon. Study says this may be as a result of stress caused through overcrowding or a male may also increase his reproductive chances by killing young that are not his, triggering females to go into oestrus, ready to mate with him.
Hippos are social beasts, hanging out in groups called schools, bloats, pods or sieges. Schools of hippos usually consist of 10 to 30 members, including both females and males, although some groups have as many as 200 individuals. No matter the size, the school is usually led by a dominant male.
A couple of tourists set out for their Africa safari/ Africa tour in Zimbabwe. Their Africa safari tour/ Africa adventure safari was amazing especially when it came to their boat ride along Lake Kariba. With an area of about 5400 square kilometres and 200km length, Lake Kariba is the world’s largest manmade lake and reservoir by volume. It is home to several types of fish as well as other water-loving creatures including hippos.
During their boat cruise, they came across a big group of hippos. They slowed down their boat so they could have a look at them for a while. They noticed that there was a mother with her newborn baby in the shallow waters of the lake close to the bank. After a while, the two were attacked by a large bull. This bull tried to crush down the baby hippo to death, tired drowning it and after a while, it then seized the newborn hippo in his huge mouth. In a lot of motherly pain, all the while, the distraught mother looked on.
Are Female Hippos Aggressive?
Yes, female Hippos are aggressive however, not to the extent of the male.
Interested in seeing a big group of Hippos?
Book a Uganda safari/ Uganda tour with any of the Uganda tour operators to tailor for you the best Uganda wildlife safari to Murchison Falls National Park Uganda and Queen Elizabeth National Park. Murchison Falls National Park offers you a boat ride along the world’s longest river; River Nile giving you chance to several hippo groups and if lucky. Queen Elizabeth National Park offers you the best as it is the world’s largest hippo concentration area. To see this will require you to take a boat cruise along the Kazinga channel. During your visit Uganda, you may opt for a 2 Days Murchison Falls safari, a 3 Days Queen Elizabeth Uganda wildlife safari tour, or a 5 Days Uganda safari tour.
You may be destined to travel to Kenya! No worries, you will still enjoy your Kenya safari if you booked a Kenya wildlife safari that goes to Masai Mara Wildlife Reserve and Lake Naivasha. You will see big concentrations of hippos in the Mara River.
Description of a Hippo
Hippos have a unique shape and size. A hippos’ skin is dark grey and smooth, pink. The head is large with a broad mouth in which the upper and lower canine teeth and incisors are enlarged into tusks. The eyes and ears are small and set far back on the head. The fat and bulky body are set on short, broad legs. The neck is short and thick characterized with folds.
Hippos live or can be found in sub-Saharan Africa. They live in areas with abundant water, as they spend most of their time submerged to keep their skin cool and moist. Considered amphibious animals, hippos spend up to 16 hours per day in the water.
If you do your Africa safari tour during the time of cool weather you are very likely to see them sunning themselves on river/ lake banks. And you are likely to see them wallowing in mud holes only when there is no water available. If you go on a guided night drive safari you can spot them grazing on land.
Hippos have a herbivorous appetite. The adults can feed up to about 80 lbs. (35 kg) of grass each night, travelling up to 6 miles (10 kilometres) in a night to get their fill. They also eat fruit that they find during their nightly scavenging. If food is scarce, hippos can store food in their stomachs and go up to three weeks without eating.
You can supplement your Africa wildlife tour with a Uganda gorilla tour or short Uganda gorilla safari, a Uganda chimpanzee trekking safari, Uganda wildlife safaris, Uganda gorilla safaris, Uganda chimpanzee trekking safaris, Uganda hiking safaris, Uganda Rwanda cycling safaris, a Jinja day tour or 1 Day Jinja city tour, a Kampala city tour or a 1-day Kampala city excursion, a Uganda cycling safari depending on your choice of safari in Uganda.
Beside the Uganda safari optional activities, Rwanda too offers Rwanda birding safaris, Rwanda gorilla safaris in Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda Chimpanzee trekking safaris in Nyungwe Forest National Park, a canopy walk in Nyungwe, a Kigali city tour or a Rwanda wildlife safari in Akagera National Park Rwanda. Tanzania safaris offer one of the best Africa wildlife safaris including Tanzania birding safaris. A Tanzania wildlife safari offers you the chance to visit Africas’ most famous Serengeti National Park while Kenya safaris offer Kenya birding safaris and Kenya wildlife safaris that bid you the chance to visit Masaai Mara National Park.
Popular Africa Wildlife Safari Packages in Uganda
- 3 days Gorilla trekking safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Uganda Gorilla Trekking Safari to Bwindi
- 1 day Jinja tour excursion
- 1 Day Tour Ngamba Island Chimps
- 1 Day Kampala City Tour
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth Park Safari Uganda
- 2 Days Wildlife safari in Uganda Queen Elizabeth
- 4 Days Wildlife Safari in Uganda to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- 3 Days Murchison Falls Safari Uganda
- 2 Days Murchison Falls safari Uganda
- 7 Days Uganda Budget Wildlife Safari Tour to Murchison Falls
- 3 Days Uganda Gorilla tour to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 3 Days Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari
- 5 days Wildlife and Chimpanzee Safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Chimpanzee trekking safari in Kibale Uganda
- 4 Days Wildlife Chimpanzee Safari
- 5 Days Gorilla and Wildlife Safari in Uganda
- 12 Days Uganda Gorilla Trekking Tour
- 10 Days Uganda Gorillas Chimps Safari
- 4 Days Uganda Gorilla Trekking and Wildlife Safari
- 6 Days Uganda Gorilla tour
- 6 days Uganda Gorilla Tracking safari
- 13 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari
- 8 Days Uganda safari tours
- 9 Days Uganda Safari
- 3 days Uganda Safari to Kidepo National Park
Tanzania safari packages
Rwanda safari packages
Sample Uganda Safari Packages.
- 1 Day Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Queen Elizabeth National Park.
- 2 Days Uganda Safari Lake Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Murchison Falls National Park
- 2 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Uganda to Kibale
- 2. Days Uganda Gorilla Safari in Bwindi from Kigali Rwanda
- 3 Days Uganda Safari to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- 3 Days Murchison Falls Wildlife Safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Uganda Kibale
- 3 Days Kidepo Park Flying Safari Uganda Tour-Wildlife & Culture
- 4 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking & Wildlife Viewing & Relaxation at Lake Bunyonyi
- 4 Days Uganda Tour-Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi & Wildlife Tour in Uganda in Queen
- 4 Days Uganda Safari to Kidepo Valley National Park-Wildlife & Culture Tour
- 5 Days Uganda Safari- Wildlife Viewing in Murchison & Chimp Trekking Tour in Kibale
- 5 Days Uganda Safari- Gorillas Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking & Wildlife Game Viewing in Queen
- 5 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari- Game Viewing Wildlife Tour in Uganda Queen & Lake Mburo
- 5 Days Uganda Primates Safari, Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi & Chimpanzee Tracking in Kibale, Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 6 Days Uganda Tour- Chimpanzee Trekking Kibale & Wildlife Game Viewing & Gorillas & Bunyonyi-Community Tour
- 6 Days Uganda Safari- Gorilla Trekking, Wildlife Viewing Queen & Lake Mburo, Lake Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 7 Days Uganda Tour, Wildlife Viewing in Queen & Lake Mburo, Gorillas & Chimp Trekking, Lake Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 7 Days Uganda Safari Wildlife Game Viewing in Murchison Falls & Queen Elizabeth, Bunyonyi Community Walking Safari
- 7 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking & Wildlife Viewing in Queen & Bunyonyi Community Village Walk & Scenic Views
- 7 Days Uganda Safari Tour- Wild Game Viewing in Mburo & Queen, Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi, Chimpanzee Tracking
- 8 Days Uganda Luxury Safari Tour- Sipi Falls & Mt Elgon Hike, Kidepo & Murchison Falls Game Viewing, Chimps & Rhinos
- 8 Days Uganda Safari – Rhinos, Murchison & Queen Game Viewing, Chimps in Kibale Gorillas in Bwindi & Igongo & Equator
- 8 Days Uganda Tour- Gorilla Trekking, Wildlife Game Viewing in Queen &Kibale Chimps & Bigodi
- 8 Days Safari in Uganda, Game Viewing, Chimpanzee Habituation, Gorilla Habituation & Community Tours
- 8 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari, Gorilla Trekking & Chimpanzee Tracking Safari
- 9 Days Uganda Tour, Gorillas Trekking & Chimpanzees, Wildlife Viewing & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari & Chimp Tracking in Queen, Gorillas Trekking-Bwindi, & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Safari, Gorillas Trekking & Chimpanzees, Wildlife Viewing & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Safari Tour-Gorilla Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking-Kibale & Wildlife
- 9 Days Uganda Birding Safari to Top Birding Spots & Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi National Park
- 10 Days Luxury Uganda Safari Tour, Gorilla Trekking & Wildlife Viewing
- 10 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas & Chimps Trekking & Wildlife
- 12 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking, Chimps & Wildlife
- 13 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari- Gorillas, Primates & Wildlife
- 14 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla, Wildlife & Primates Tour
- 16 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas, Chimps, Wildlife & Adventure
- 18 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas, Chimps, Wildlife & Adventure
- 20 Days Uganda Safari Tour-Gorillas, Primates & Wildlife
More posts for you
Uganda Suspends Mandatory Covid-19 Testing At Entebbe Airport – February 2022Uganda Suspends Mandatory Covid-19 Testing At Entebbe Airport – February 2022 Effective February 16, 2022, Uganda suspends mandatory Covid-19 testing at Entebbe Airport. The suspension of mandatory Covid-19 testing on arrival in Uganda followed...View package
Uganda Still Ranks Among The Top 100 Countries Managing The Covid-19 Pandemic Better GloballyA Nurse Receiving A Covid-19 Short in UgandaUganda still ranks among the top 100 countries managing the covid-19 pandemic better globally, according to World Statistics website Worldometer’s new rankings. This nation of around 42...View package