Rwanda COVID-19 Requirements For Arriving And Departing Travellers – March 2022
In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Government of Rwanda has issued updated Rwanda COVID-19 Requirements For Arriving And Departing Travellers. If you are planning a Rwanda safari, such as the Rwanda gorilla safari, chimpanzee trekking safari, Rwanda wildlife safaris, or any other Rwanda tours, please read the following mandatory Rwanda Covid-19 requirements for arriving and departing travelers, announced on March 5, 2022:
Entry/Arrival COVID-19 Requirements To Rwanda
All travelers will be required to meet the following guidelines on arrival in Rwanda:
- A Negative Covid-19 Certificate
- All travelers arriving in Rwanda (regardless of vaccination status) must have an authentic and valid negative Covid-19 certificate.
- We encourage visitors on Rwanda wildlife safaris to carry printed copies of their negative test results on their flight to Rwanda.
- The only accepted test is the RT-PCR performed within 72 hours prior to departure.
- Therefore, you must be tested and get results within 3 days of your first flight.
- Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests, are not accepted for international travelers.
- COVID-19 Test is not mandatory for accompanied children under 5 years.
- Full Vaccination
- At Kigali International Airport, all incoming travelers eligible for the Covid-19 vaccine/aged 12 years and above must be fully vaccinated before their travel to Rwanda.
- Rwanda Passenger Locator Form
- All travelers arriving/transiting in Rwanda must complete the Passenger Locator Form and upload the Covid-19 PCR test certificate before heading to the airport.
- Please see the passenger locator form on rbc.gov.rw
- Covid-19 Tests On Arrival
- Covid-19 PCR & Antigen Rapid Tests will be taken upon arrival in Rwanda at your own cost
- Travelers will do self-isolation until they get negative PCR test results taken on arrival.
- At the airport, the payment for Covid-19 tests taken on arrival of 62,200 Frw or 65 USD will be done as per the indications of the Passenger Locator Form.
- For passengers who opt for a cash payment at arrival, the balance will be given in Local currency (FRW).
- The passenger who wouldn’t use the payment methods on the Passenger Locator Form may be required to pay again at arrival and claim a refund for any previous payment made.
- Transiting/Connecting Travelers
- All travelers transiting for more than 12 hours through Rwanda will be screened upon entry and take RT-PCR and rapid tests at their own cost.
- But transiting/connecting travelers who are not leaving the airport for less than 12 hours will be screened upon entry and not required to take a second test.
- This is not applicable for transiting passengers by land borders, in that case, passengers will be tested using RT-PCR and rapid tests on arrival), PCR test results will be fast-tracked.
- Rwanda Land borders
- Land borders re-opened, starting Monday 07th March 2022.
- People may be subject to random Covid-19 testing by the Ministry of Health upon entry
- You are encouraged to be vaccinated before crossing the border to Rwanda.
- Self-Isolation & Test Results For RT-PCR Taken On Arrival
- Test results for RT-PCR taken on arrival will be checked on the RBC website of the covid-19 results portal.
- To check the results, you will use the phone number you entered while filling Passenger Locator Form and the Unique code received when you submitted Passenger Locator Form prior to departures or by SMS and/or email.
- The turnaround time for results is 24 hours from the time a sample is collected.
- If a traveler’s test result is positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, they will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines until they have fully recovered, at their own cost.
- The National Covid-19 Management Guideline is available on rbc.gov.rw
- If you planning your safari Rwanda tours, you are encouraged to have international travel insurance.
COVID-19 Guidelines During Your Rwanda Safaris
While on your wildlife or gorilla safaris in Rwanda, you must observe the Covid-19 preventive measures announced by the Ministry of Health, especially:
- Frequent hand-washing or sanitization
- Proper wearing of face masks in public
- Maintaining safe physical distance from others (at least one meter apart).
- Regular temperature screening of all guests at different Rwanda tourist attractions/destinations and Rwanda hotels
- Visitors are required to use cashless transaction methods at all times while on safari
For more details about COVID-19 clinical management guidelines, please visit www.rbc.gov.rw.
Exit/Departure COVID-19 Requirements From Rwanda
All passengers will be required to meet the following guidelines prior to departure:
- Covid-19 Departure Test
- All travelers departing from Rwanda must test negative for COVID-19.
- The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 72 hours before departure.
- The PCR test must be performed by the Rwanda Biomedical Center/National Reference Laboratory, Provincial or District Hospitals.
- Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests (RDTs), are not accepted for international travelers.
- COVID-19 Test is not mandatory for accompanied children under 5 years.
- Travelers must take their tests 2 days prior to departure.
- Travelers are advised to check with airlines about the COVID-19 requirements of the final destination and/or transit countries and plan for their RT-PCR test accordingly.
- Travelers are not allowed to go to the airport without negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test results.
- Self-Isolation If You Test Positive While In Rwanda
- If travelers’ test results are positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, they will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines.
- Travelers who test positive and undertake 10 days of isolation but remain positive on PCR with CT values above 37, negative rapid diagnostic test, and without any Covid-19 symptoms will be given a recovery certificate which may be used for travel out of Rwanda provided their transiting and final destination countries allow it.
The above COVID-19 travel guidelines for Rwanda are meant to guide you in properly planning for your Rwanda gorilla trekking safaris to Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda Chimpanzee trekking tours to Nyungwe Forest National Park, Rwanda wildlife safaris to Akagera National Park, Kigali city tour, and other Rwanda safari activities (things to do in Rwanda).
And prior to visiting the primate parks of Volcanoes and Nyungwe, an RT-PCR negative test certificate remains mandatory and should be taken within 72 hours prior to the visit. Please note that Gorillas, Chimps, and humans share more than 98% DNA, meaning humans, chimpanzees, and Rwanda gorillas can suffer from the same diseases and that includes Covid 19.
Feel free to contact us at any time should you need any more clarification on Rwanda safari COVID-19 travel requirements and restrictions.
Sample Uganda Safari Packages.
- 1 Day Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Queen Elizabeth National Park.
- 2 Days Uganda Safari Lake Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Murchison Falls National Park
- 2 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Uganda to Kibale
- 2. Days Uganda Gorilla Safari in Bwindi from Kigali Rwanda
- 3 Days Uganda Safari to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- 3 Days Murchison Falls Wildlife Safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Uganda Kibale
- 3 Days Kidepo Park Flying Safari Uganda Tour-Wildlife & Culture
- 4 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking & Wildlife Viewing & Relaxation at Lake Bunyonyi
- 4 Days Uganda Tour-Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi & Wildlife Tour in Uganda in Queen
- 4 Days Uganda Safari to Kidepo Valley National Park-Wildlife & Culture Tour
- 5 Days Uganda Safari- Wildlife Viewing in Murchison & Chimp Trekking Tour in Kibale
- 5 Days Uganda Safari- Gorillas Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking & Wildlife Game Viewing in Queen
- 5 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari- Game Viewing Wildlife Tour in Uganda Queen & Lake Mburo
- 5 Days Uganda Primates Safari, Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi & Chimpanzee Tracking in Kibale, Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 6 Days Uganda Tour- Chimpanzee Trekking Kibale & Wildlife Game Viewing & Gorillas & Bunyonyi-Community Tour
- 6 Days Uganda Safari- Gorilla Trekking, Wildlife Viewing Queen & Lake Mburo, Lake Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 7 Days Uganda Tour, Wildlife Viewing in Queen & Lake Mburo, Gorillas & Chimp Trekking, Lake Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 7 Days Uganda Safari Wildlife Game Viewing in Murchison Falls & Queen Elizabeth, Bunyonyi Community Walking Safari
- 7 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking & Wildlife Viewing in Queen & Bunyonyi Community Village Walk & Scenic Views
- 7 Days Uganda Safari Tour- Wild Game Viewing in Mburo & Queen, Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi, Chimpanzee Tracking
- 8 Days Uganda Luxury Safari Tour- Sipi Falls & Mt Elgon Hike, Kidepo & Murchison Falls Game Viewing, Chimps & Rhinos
- 8 Days Uganda Safari – Rhinos, Murchison & Queen Game Viewing, Chimps in Kibale Gorillas in Bwindi & Igongo & Equator
- 8 Days Uganda Tour- Gorilla Trekking, Wildlife Game Viewing in Queen &Kibale Chimps & Bigodi
- 8 Days Safari in Uganda, Game Viewing, Chimpanzee Habituation, Gorilla Habituation & Community Tours
- 8 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari, Gorilla Trekking & Chimpanzee Tracking Safari
- 9 Days Uganda Tour, Gorillas Trekking & Chimpanzees, Wildlife Viewing & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari & Chimp Tracking in Queen, Gorillas Trekking-Bwindi, & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Safari, Gorillas Trekking & Chimpanzees, Wildlife Viewing & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Safari Tour-Gorilla Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking-Kibale & Wildlife
- 9 Days Uganda Birding Safari to Top Birding Spots & Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi National Park
- 10 Days Luxury Uganda Safari Tour, Gorilla Trekking & Wildlife Viewing
- 10 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas & Chimps Trekking & Wildlife
- 12 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking, Chimps & Wildlife
- 13 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari- Gorillas, Primates & Wildlife
- 14 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla, Wildlife & Primates Tour
- 16 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas, Chimps, Wildlife & Adventure
- 18 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas, Chimps, Wildlife & Adventure
- 20 Days Uganda Safari Tour-Gorillas, Primates & Wildlife