Two New Baby Gorillas Born in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park During Lockdown
Amid the Coronavirus pandemic, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park situated in southwestern Uganda received 2 New baby gorillas ahead of mother’s day. The two mountain gorilla babies are born to the Nshongi gorilla family on the 1st May 2020 and Muyambi gorilla family on the 25th April 2020. This news has caused joy to these gorilla families and to the conservationists as well. The Nshongi gorilla family baby belongs to Kabagyenyi (mother) and Silverback Bweza. According to the Uganda Wildlife Authority, the Muyambi gorilla family baby parents are yet to be established. The sexes of the babies are not yet known because it’s hard to get close to a new gorilla baby a few days after its birth because it is jealously guarded by its family.
Nshongi gorilla family was the first family to be habituated in Rushaga with about 35 individuals however, they split with time. As of today, the gorilla family has over 25 individuals and it is still the largest gorilla family. Kabagyenyi, the baby’s mother, was not a family member originally, she joined the group as a sub-adult. She is estimated to be around 10 years and this is her firstborn child.
Nshongi gorilla family derives its name from the Nshongi River where it lives. Nshongi was got from a local word called “Omushongi Gwobwoki ” meaning honey. The waters of river Nshongi have a deep colour similar to that of honey. The gorilla family was habituated in 2007 and opened for gorilla trekking in 2009. The gorilla family is led by Nshongi, the dominant silverback who has seen this group survive up to the present.
Nshongi Family Members:
Each member was named depending on where it was born from, the then situation and who named it. Also, each family member plays a different role. The silverback guards and leads the family, adult females nurse babies, while juveniles play continuously to keep the family life and entertaining.
Muyambi group is the newest group that was opened up for gorilla trekking in Uganda in 2019. Muyambi was an adult male gorilla from the Mubare gorilla family but split. When it split away from this group, it formed its own hence the name.
“The birth of these new babies is a testimony to Uganda’s successful conservation efforts. With enhanced integrity of protected areas here has been a general increase in wildlife populations in Uganda,” UWA says. The recently concluded census in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park indicated that the park has over 459 individuals.
Mountain gorillas in the Virunga Massif started at 604 shared between Uganda, Rwanda and Congo bringing the number to a total of 1063. Uganda is home to over 50% of the world’s remaining mountain gorilla population that live in Bwindi Forest National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park.
About Gorilla Trekking in Uganda | Gorilla Safari Tours in Uganda
Uganda, Congo and Rwanda gorilla trekking safaris, chimpanzee trekking safaris, and golden monkey’s tours among other primates have been put on hold until the coronavirus pandemic recedes. This precautious move comes as the countries monitor the containment of the spread of COVID-19 and its implications to wildlife conservation and tourism in the protected areas.
However, gorilla trekking safaris in Uganda start at 8:00 am every morning. Uganda gorilla safaris last between 30 minutes to several hours depending on where gorillas are located that day. Each day, the gorilla family is visited by a group of eight people for an hour. A gorilla trekking permit in Uganda will cost $700 for foreign residents and UGX 250,000 for East African residents.
To go for gorilla trekking in Uganda, you are required to dress up appropriately. This includes hiking boots/shoes, rain jacket, long pants, long-sleeved shirts/blouses, sunglasses, hat, and gardening gloves among others.
A walking stick and porter are very helpful. Also, remember to carry enough drinking water and energy-giving snacks.
Book your Uganda gorilla safari today and enjoy the magical gorilla trekking tour with Prime Safaris & Tours Ltd, the number one Africa Tour Operator.
Reproduction in Mountain Gorillas
Female mountain gorillas on average begin to reproduction at the age of 10. Just like it is in humans, female gorillas are able to carry one or two babies at a time and give birth after an 8.5-month gestation period; quite similar to the 9-month’s human pregnancy.
Mountain gorilla mothers will bear between two to six offspring in a lifetime. The newborns are always tiny, weighing about four pounds and are only able to cling to their mothers’ fur. The infants always ride on their mom’s backs from the age of four months through the first two or three years of their lives.
Popular Uganda gorilla safari packages
Popular Congo gorilla safari packages
Popular Rwanda gorilla safari packages
Sample Uganda Safari Packages.
- 1 Day Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Queen Elizabeth National Park.
- 2 Days Uganda Safari Lake Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Murchison Falls National Park
- 2 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Uganda to Kibale
- 2. Days Uganda Gorilla Safari in Bwindi from Kigali Rwanda
- 3 Days Uganda Safari to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- 3 Days Murchison Falls Wildlife Safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Uganda Kibale
- 3 Days Kidepo Park Flying Safari Uganda Tour-Wildlife & Culture
- 4 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking & Wildlife Viewing & Relaxation at Lake Bunyonyi
- 4 Days Uganda Tour-Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi & Wildlife Tour in Uganda in Queen
- 4 Days Uganda Safari to Kidepo Valley National Park-Wildlife & Culture Tour
- 5 Days Uganda Safari- Wildlife Viewing in Murchison & Chimp Trekking Tour in Kibale
- 5 Days Uganda Safari- Gorillas Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking & Wildlife Game Viewing in Queen
- 5 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari- Game Viewing Wildlife Tour in Uganda Queen & Lake Mburo
- 5 Days Uganda Primates Safari, Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi & Chimpanzee Tracking in Kibale, Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 6 Days Uganda Tour- Chimpanzee Trekking Kibale & Wildlife Game Viewing & Gorillas & Bunyonyi-Community Tour
- 6 Days Uganda Safari- Gorilla Trekking, Wildlife Viewing Queen & Lake Mburo, Lake Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 7 Days Uganda Tour, Wildlife Viewing in Queen & Lake Mburo, Gorillas & Chimp Trekking, Lake Bunyonyi Community Tour
- 7 Days Uganda Safari Wildlife Game Viewing in Murchison Falls & Queen Elizabeth, Bunyonyi Community Walking Safari
- 7 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking & Wildlife Viewing in Queen & Bunyonyi Community Village Walk & Scenic Views
- 7 Days Uganda Safari Tour- Wild Game Viewing in Mburo & Queen, Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi, Chimpanzee Tracking
- 8 Days Uganda Luxury Safari Tour- Sipi Falls & Mt Elgon Hike, Kidepo & Murchison Falls Game Viewing, Chimps & Rhinos
- 8 Days Uganda Safari – Rhinos, Murchison & Queen Game Viewing, Chimps in Kibale Gorillas in Bwindi & Igongo & Equator
- 8 Days Uganda Tour- Gorilla Trekking, Wildlife Game Viewing in Queen &Kibale Chimps & Bigodi
- 8 Days Safari in Uganda, Game Viewing, Chimpanzee Habituation, Gorilla Habituation & Community Tours
- 8 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari, Gorilla Trekking & Chimpanzee Tracking Safari
- 9 Days Uganda Tour, Gorillas Trekking & Chimpanzees, Wildlife Viewing & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari & Chimp Tracking in Queen, Gorillas Trekking-Bwindi, & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Safari, Gorillas Trekking & Chimpanzees, Wildlife Viewing & Lake Bunyonyi Community Walk
- 9 Days Uganda Safari Tour-Gorilla Trekking, Chimpanzee Tracking-Kibale & Wildlife
- 9 Days Uganda Birding Safari to Top Birding Spots & Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi National Park
- 10 Days Luxury Uganda Safari Tour, Gorilla Trekking & Wildlife Viewing
- 10 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas & Chimps Trekking & Wildlife
- 12 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla Trekking, Chimps & Wildlife
- 13 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari- Gorillas, Primates & Wildlife
- 14 Days Uganda Safari-Gorilla, Wildlife & Primates Tour
- 16 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas, Chimps, Wildlife & Adventure
- 18 Days Uganda Safari-Gorillas, Chimps, Wildlife & Adventure
- 20 Days Uganda Safari Tour-Gorillas, Primates & Wildlife