CLOTHES FOR A SAFARI IN UGANDA | WHAT TO WEAR ON SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Find out what to wear on safari in Uganda for a comfortable trip. The best clothes for a safari in Uganda should be light waterproof jacket, safari boots, sweater/fleece jacket, sunglasses e.t.c with colors like khaki, greens and light brown.
Do many travelers wonder about what to wear on safari in Uganda Africa? Some visitors on a safari to Uganda many times bring several clothes that not meant for a safari but rather a beach holiday. Wearing the right safari clothes is the smart thing to do; it protects you, provides you comfort, and keeps you well during your time in Uganda the Pearl of Africa.
Below we have put together all major aspects for you to consider regarding what to wear on safari in Uganda for a comfortable African trip.
Tips for selecting the best safari clothes for your safari to Uganda;
Color is essential: What colors can you wear on safari in Uganda?
Safari clothes made from neutral and natural-toned colors should highly be considered when deciding what safari clothes to pack for Uganda safari. The best safari clothes colors include;
- Light browns
- A safari to Africa is aimed at is blending in as much as possible so that you do not disturb the wildlife you are viewing.
- Wearing neutral colors gives you an opportunity to watch animals behaving naturally and not reacting to you, running away, or charging towards you.
On the other hand, there are several colors you should definitely make sure you don’t wear on safari, for example;
- White: This is the most conspicuous color on safari and you will be seen by African wildlife from a mile away. White clothes also show up dust, so are best kept for evening wear.
- Black and dark blue: Black is second only to white in how clearly it stands out in the bush, but there is another reason why black and blue safari clothing should not be worn: tsetse flies.
If you are travelling to an area with tsetse flies, please note that the flies – which are the equivalent of tiny fighter jets and deliver a very painful bite with their proboscis – are attracted to blue and black.
- Lighter shades of natural colors such as very light stone which appear as white when in sunlight
- Camouflage clothes: It is illegal attire for civilians and this law may be strictly enforced.
Know the type of safari activity you would like to do in Uganda
- These include gorilla trekking, Chimpanzee tracking, game drives, bird watching, nature walks, mountain climbing, cultural visits, white water rafting, kayaking, boat cruise, canoeing, and many others.
- Some Uganda safari activities especially gorilla trekking, chimpanzee trekking, and hiking need you to have the right clothes and in the right colors.
Pack light clothes for your safari in Uganda
- The key to packing for a country like Uganda is finding the right balance between bringing everything you might possibly need and carrying as little luggage as possible, something that depends on your own priority.
- The lighter each garment you pack, the more garments you are able to pack and still remain under the weight threshold set by airlines.
- Remember, light can also mean strong. The best safari clothing is lightweight, but also has built-in ripstop for added strength.
- Jeweler is totally unnecessary on a safari, but you can buy the Ugandan ones to take home. Also, leave non-safari-essential electronic at home
- Remember to pack items that can be worn multiple times and clothes that are quick to dry.
- You can also select clothing that uses an anti-microbial or anti-bacterial fabric so that you can wear the same clothing for longer and so pack less and travel lighter.
Know the climate and weather seasons in Uganda
- Generally, Uganda has two climate seasons;
- Rainy season-long rains in March to May and short rains in the month of late October to November
- The dry season-long dry season from June to mid-October and the short dry season from December to February.
- These weather seasons greatly influence the type of clothing you should for your safari in Uganda.
- During the dry season, the climate weathers tend to be very hot with moderate rains or even without rains. Thus travelers must know which safari clothes to Uganda during dry seasons.
- During the rainy season, travelers to Uganda are advised to carry lightweight warm and waterproof clothes.
Think about ideal safari clothing material for your safari in Uganda
- Uganda has a warm climate, so bring plenty of light clothing ideally made from natural fabric such as cotton, though people prefer synthetic trouser that are quick to dry and specifically designed for tropical travel.
- The western region of Uganda has a wet climate, and showers are normal even during the dry season. Therefore you advised to bring light weight waterproof clothes, and at a high altitude, you will need warm clothing.
Essential safari clothing items for a safari in Uganda.
Long-sleeved shirts or T-shirts: You’re advised to wear long-sleeved shirts to protect you from the sun and insects on hiking safaris, gorilla treks, chimpanzee trekking, and birdwatching hikes.
A long-sleeved shirt will also offer you protection against cuts from branches, vines, and stinging nettles. Use wrinkle-free items, especially with shirts.
Shirts with a collar to protect the neck from the harsh sun are advisable, as are shirts with pockets to store your bits and piece.
Dresses and skirts on safari in Uganda
Dresses and skirts can also be good safari clothes for women. There are even safari dresses that can be worn on activities such as game drives. These are a bit like safari trousers or cargo pants; they fit well and have several pockets.
Some have adjustable sleeves, or you can fold and make them short-sleeved or long-sleeved.
You can pack some dresses for relaxing evenings and less adventurous activities.
Village walks, cultural visits, and visits to nearby towns can be done in dresses. These should be of decent length, preferably below the knee; your reception by the locals will be much warmer if then.
Skirts are good too; long flowy free skirts will be comfortable especially on hot days. If you are in less conservative communities then shorter skirts could be acceptable. But keep it at a maximum of an inch above the knee to be safe, and not offend the locals.
Trousers & shorts
A pair of comfortable long trousers or two, and a pair of shorts. Combat style trousers and shorts are ideal safari gear as they have several pockets, great for storing compact binoculars, suncream, camera etc.
Long trousers have the benefit of keeping you warm and protecting you from the sun in the day and mosquito bites on evening and night game drives.
You should avoid light colors as they show dirt more easily. It is strongly advised not to put on shorts while trekking in the jungle.
Light safari waterproof jacket/poncho
This very essential for those interested in gorilla trekking, chimpanzee trekking, mountain hiking or for those traveling Uganda during the rainy season.
Within these forests, it can rain at any time and you must be prepared. Visitors can also use a poncho which equally gives protection against rain.
If even if you come here during the dry season, you need to be prepared for rains in the rainforests.
Footwear for your safari in Uganda
The type of footwear required for a safari in Uganda really depends on the nature of the activities you are planning to do.
For example, those planning to trek gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National Park or undertaking a hike elsewhere ideally need lightweight sturdy waterproof hiking boots that won’t slip easily in mud or on wet leaves and rocks.
These safari boots will also protect you from wild insects as well as thorns on the ground.
Elsewhere, a good pair of walking shoes is enough and those with solid ankle support would be the best shoes for a safari in Uganda.
It is also useful to carry sandals, flip-flops, or other light semi-open shoes. These can even be worn on a game drive since the activity is mainly done in a vehicle. They can also be very useful while at the lodge after gorilla trekking, chimpanzee tracking, or hiking.
White shoes are not recommended safari shoes in Uganda as they easily get dirty and it is not easy to clean them.
In Kampala or Entebbe, you can put on lightweight shoes and ensure that they shined–this will culturally grant you a lot of respect
Cotton or wool socks are good – they also offer protection. Bear in mind that re-using them when sweaty will encourage fungal infections such as athlete’s foot.
You will also need good hiking socks if you visit Uganda for hiking, gorilla trekking, and chimpanzee trekking.
You can wear shorts and light clothing to relax while at the lodge after the long game drive adventure, after a gorilla trekking experience, chimpanzee trekking experience, nature among other activities that will require you a rest.
Most of the lodges in the tourist destination have swimming pools, restaurants,s and bars that traveler enjoy their ample time while on their Uganda safari. So, you can carry swimwear.
Wide-Brimmed Safari Hat
This helps to block out the equatorial sun of Uganda if you go on hiking, horseback ride, gorilla trekking, chimpanzee trekking, forest walks, Sportfishing, and boat cruise. The hat can be bought in your home country or in Uganda.
Many hats here are made from local materials and have that African Adventure touch to them.
You may be wondering why you should wear a sweater in the heart of Africa.
But it is very essential during chilly evenings, nights, and mornings in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, the Rwenzori Mountains National Park, and Mount Elgon National Park.
Strong gardening gloves
You are strongly advised to carry sturdy gardening gloves if you are interested in gorilla trekking in Uganda. The gloves will protect you while supporting your selves on tree branches or vines.
They give you protection against stinging nettles. When you meet the gorillas, you can put off them to take good photos.
In Uganda, the sun can offer a surprising amount of harsh glare, so you won’t want to forget sunglasses as part of your safari attire.
A pair of polarized wrap-around sunglasses will give you protection from both the glare and the dust that’s a feature of many game drives, meaning more chance of spotting that hiding leopard!
COVID-19 Pandemic Safari Wear Additions for your safari in Uganda
Entebbe International Airport was re-opened on October 1, 2020, for all visitors. The Ugandan government has put out directives that visitors must comply with.
For one thing, you will always need a face mask everywhere on a Uganda safari.
N-95, Surgical Masks, or two-layer masks with filters are suggested for visitors. Masks are required for all Uganda safari activities/things to do in Uganda on safari.
Two Masks are necessary for gorilla trekking in Uganda and chimpanzee tracking in Uganda.